My previous company is an on-demand delivery services which operates in 2 big cities: Hà Nội, Hồ Chính Minh.
With the high demand from the market, we need to move really fast including operation and technology with roughly ~ 50k MAU (at the time this article published).
- without dockerization
- only 1 ec2 c5.4xlarge (1 nginx)
- moving super fast
- features rollout fucking fast
- Waste of resource (only utilize 70% peak time)
- Can’t scale
On the way to stabilize and scale up API system
1 main api, and 1 backup api, nginx proxy on main api
- Fixed resources thus no utilize resource when low traffic
Avg rps: 500
Then, we move the backend to AWS EKS
We want to resolve:
- Auto scale up when traffic increase
- Resource utilization when low traffic
- And keep the features roll out speed
Dashboard and Logs
Up until now, the systems is very stable and scalable, we still need to improve many things. Moving up the systems to K8s help us a lot to reach 99.99% uptime target.
p/s: Even I left my previous company, I still miss a lot good memories with this startup, learn a lot of things:
- KISS: keep it simple, very simple and fucking simple, don’t make color and things too much.
- Need to balance between “do things right” and “do right things”
- LEAN team: every team member is an expert in what they take responsibility
- Straight forward in communication
- Good planning (we accomplished this by using OKR)
- And, have fun … and take it easy
Image source: AhaMove